Help Centre

Help Informations

What kind of help do you need?

illustration of a telephone

Need Urgent Help or Support?

If you need immediate help, or if you or anyone else is in immediate danger or harm, then please call the Police or Ambulance Service on 999.

If you are in Exeter, you can phone the NHS Urgent Mental Health Line, available 24/7 on 0808 196 8708 (free) or 0300 555 5000. You will be able to speak with a mental health professional and gain advice on the best course of care.

If you’re not in Exeter, then you can find your local Urgent Mental Health Line by visiting the NHS website:

If you are feeling suicidal or like hurting yourself, and you are concerned for your safety, you need to tell a doctor how you are feeling.  You should also contact a family member or a trusted friend, so that you won't be alone right now.

If you would find it helpful to talk confidentially about your feelings you can contact the Samaritans on their 24 hour helpline: Tel: 116 123.

You can also go to the Accident and Emergency Departments of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Switchboard 01392 411611), or the Royal Cornwall Hospital (Switchboard 01872 250000), where you will be assessed and treated by the relevant healthcare team.

If you urgently need medical help or advice out of hours but it is not a life threatening situation then you can call NHS 111.  We would also advise that you contact your own GP to make an urgent appointment.  They will be able to provide on-going treatment and support options and know where to get you the specialist help you need.


If you aren't already you should register with a GP.  There are GP practices near University campuses which you could register with: the Student Health Centre on the Streatham Campus, the Heavitree Practice near St Luke’s Campus and the Penryn Surgery on the Penryn Campus.

The GPs at the Student Health Centres on the Streatham and Penryn campuses can see any student in an emergency even if they are not registered.

You can contact Reed Mews Wellbeing Centre or the Wellbeing Team in Cornwall for support.  The Wellbeing services are not for management of medical emergencies when you should go to your GP or local Accident and Emergency service.


The University’s  Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) provides a confidential, impartial advice and support line for staff and PGR students 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; Tel: 0808 164 0251.  The service is free for you to access whenever you need.  You don't need to ask permission from your line manager or supervisor before contacting the EAP for support or advice.

You can also contact your own GP for support and advice.  The EAP is not for management of medical emergencies when you should see your own GP or local Accident and emergency service.